Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Train of States


Title: The Train of States

Author: Peter Sis is an award winning children's book illustrator and writer. Peter attended the Academy of Applied Arts in Prague and the Royal College of Art in London. He was born in Brno, Czechoslovakia in 1949.

Publisher: Greenwillow Books (2007)

Genre: Fiction

Grade Level: 3-4

Brief Synopsis: This is a story about the fifty states in the United States. It takes you on a journey by using hundreds of facts, symbols, moments from history, and tidbits. The book also includes the date of statehood for each state, what the state is known for, and they symbol for each state.

Theme/Skil
l: 50 States in the U.S./ Social Studies

Pre-activity: Write a list of all fifty states on the board as the students are naming them off.

Post-activity: Students will work in groups of 3-4. The students will compare and contrast two different states using a venn diagram. They will then use poster paper to create the venn diagram and present to the class.

My Refection of the book persuading people to read it:

I think this is a great book for students to learn their fifty states. The book uses details throughout each page. Many of the details are open to interpretation; several of them the topic of ongoing debate. This means the teacher can use this book for a debate or open ended question. Overall, I think every student will learn and take away a lot of valubale information about the states.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie -
    This looks like a great book! I always have trouble finding time to help my students learn more about the 50 states. Our curriculum goes into a lot of depth on New York. This, of course, triggers their interest in other states. I'll have to get a classroom copy of this. Based on your description, I'm certain my students will enjoy it. Thanks for sharing!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stephanie!
    My students have been having a very difficult time learning their states. I would love to incorporate The Train of States and the activity with my students. They are eager to learn! I could use a map to show symbols, the legend, and important historical facts. Working in groups is what the students prefer, so after prefacing the lesson and modeling, I would allow the students to work in small groups that I have created. Thank you for the great literature book.
    -Britt Bogan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your students enjoy the book! It is a great book for students to learn their states.

    ReplyDelete